Sunday, July 21, 2013

Where The Sun Don't Shine

IQALUIT 2013

Back in the day, a bunch of Gonzos got together for an evening of travel slideshows and creation of Bucket Lists. It was a hoot. Some of the items on people's list were 'pie in the sky' (or were they?).

One item that has been on my list thru all the years' iterations has been to work in a cold climate. The idea to see what it is like to handle 24/7 darkness. I have been working up in Northern Canada and Greenland on a ship during the 24/7 light...and it is freaky.

Something tells me the darkness aspect might be a little harder to deal with.

I am off to Iqaluit, Nunavut for a few months. I have an old college buddy living up there and I will be house-sitting for him while he spends some time in NS. After that, who knows.

I bought a one-way ticket and am getting my old NS teacher's licence updated. I hope to work while I am there at whatever casual type jobs come my way and to get to at least a few Nunavut communities for some sort of visit. I'd also like to get to Yellowknife and count being in all CDN provinces and territories. The future is open.

Packing will be different from backpacking in various countries. I can't just count on picking up things I need at the corner store...it will be expensive, if it is there at all.

B

No comments:

Post a Comment