Wednesday, September 11, 2013

I'm a Kabloonuk!

Kabloonuk: for come-from-aways. Means person with bushy eyebrows.

Well, the rush of the first week is over, and it was hectic. Gary was nice enough to introduce me to people he works, volunteers and plays with. Basically, I'm taking his place while he is away. Up to me to make the most of my time.

Between sports, volunteer and part-time work, I am getting to meet lots of new people, including lots of locals. While the kids playing badminton are pretty cool, working in soup kitchens and shelters is giving me a slanted view of the town and culture. The interaction between locals and come-from-aways is complex as are the many problems that plague a culture shifting into town living at a dizzying speed.

Living Space

I'm in the blue building on the right.

I have been running and walking, both for exercise and a way to know the town better. I must say, if I was going to pick an area I town to live in..I am already there, close to the grocery stores, on a hill over-looking the harbour. I have a deck, a tub (Yeah!) and in-house laundry, cable, phone, internet, wifi. The grocery stores have tons of fresh fruit and vegetables (gov't subsidized thru Nutrition North). Bread is a problem, unless you are a fan processed white/brown bread or pita.

No beer store, good for me, means no beer/chip habit to contend with. Looks like I have lost the weight gained on my SE Asia jaunt. Also, more consistent focussed stretching and yoga has my back in much better shape.

Once you factor in the subsidies, I am spending about 1.5 times as much for groceries as down south.

Garbage and Re-cycling

So much trash in and around town. Trying to reconcile.

There is no re-cycling here, and I am in an apartment, so garbage is très simple...throw it i a bag, throw the bag in a bin. It will be awhile before re-cycling comes to this town...there is loose garbage everywhere, even on all the trails surrounding town. Remnants of a nomadic culture??? once you don't need something, you just leave it there???

Serendipity

The Oqota men's shelter.

My house host volunteered in the thrift shop, and brought me there to work and meet the people. While working as a volunteer in the thrift shop, I meet people from the soup kitchen and volunteer there for a week. Working with Doug one morning, he offers me part-time work at the men's shelter. I like this kind of connectivity. This is also how I travel. I like to be organized and flexible enough to do whatever comes along. I enjoy the variety and not knowing what is coming up next.

The ultimate in micro-housing

Welcome to Jamaica, Mon!

There is a guy I see every day, either at the soup kitchen, thrift shop or men's shelter. I am still trying to have a conversation with him. My guess is that he is Jamaican. He comes to the shelter to root thru the clothing, but is banned from staying there. Would love to know his story. He now lives on the beach in this shed, burning various bits of flotsam for heat.

Housing prices here are stunning, like $2400 for a 2 bedroom, then you pay utilities. Flights here cost 3 times what you would expect for a 3 hour flight from Ottawa...and the planes are full. What causes this $$$ bubble? You guessed it. Gov't money. Most gov't jobs here have subsidized housing, so the $2400 ends up being around $1500 if you have the nice, office-based, pensionable job.

There is a lot of public housing, and what would be considered slums anywhere else. From what I can see so far there is a pretty big dis-connect between the locals and a lot of the people who work here who don't directly work with the Inuit.

Head Space

This antler is now mine

While I did get here in time to catch some nice, sunny days, I'll be leaving before the long, dark, winter nights and freezing cold. I like the town and the people I meet and job opportunities. The problem is...I don't want to work. I don't mind volunteer work and some part-time here and there...but really not keen on working a steady job, even though it means I could save some money for travelling.

This is likely lazy and selfish. It is also a bit of a shock. I assumed I would work after retirement to generate spare cash and focus my time. Nope. Instead, I have adjusted to less money and keep busy with things I enjoy.

Really, what is gets down is my current philosophy...I retired in order to travel and basically do as I pleased. Right now, a full-time job does not make that list for any reason. I do enjoy what I do, a lot.

Hiking Photos

Lichen patterns

All these are berry plants (blue, black, bear, etc)

The lighting this time of year is magic.

The land here is technically a desert.

Looking back at Iqaluit and civilization

Kate adds to her growing antler collection

Town Photos

The local Anglican church. I volunteer at their soup kitchen.

The thrift shop where I also volunteer.

The soup kitchen after the noon craziness.

A baby yurt!!!

Garbage is everywhere, even on trails 5km from town

No comments:

Post a Comment